Saturday, March 26, 2011

Little House in the Big Woods: Chapter 1


Chapter 1

"Once upon a time, sixty years ago, a little girl lived in the Big Woods of Wisconsin, in a little gray house made of logs."


So begins the first book in the series. The forests of frontier Wisconsin where Laura and her sisters live are vast, almost wholly trackless, and filled with wild animals. Laura is a young girl living in a very frightening and overwhelming world, but it doesn't seem so to her because she has Ma, and the very strong and capable Pa, to protect her.

Winter is coming and every creature, both wild and tame, works towards one purpose--survival in the coming winter. Pa is busy hunting and butchering the animals and Ma works hard to get the garden in and preserve the meat that Pa brings her. Laura and Mary work hard, too, because in those days helping the family get by was everybody's job. But there are also times for fun and games, especially in the evenings when Pa gets out his fiddle.

The iconic scene from this book, and one that thrilled my soul with fascinated horror when I read it as a little girl, was the butchering of the pig. Those were not the days when uninformed activists, decrying animal abuse by hunters, asked, "Why don't people just eat the meat from the stores so no animals would have to suffer?" Back in pioneer days you knew your bacon by its first name.

Mary and Laura waited eagerly during the butchering for the exciting treats they had coming their way. The wonderful sizzling of the pig's tail over an open fire and the fun they had playing with their new "balloon", the bladder of the pig, blown up and tied shut.

Now, I've been a vegetarian all my life, so I'm not very familiar with any pig parts, but the whole playing-with-the-body part-of-a-pig thing seemed particularly gross. So of course that is what I chose for my first experience. Oh, yes. I did. I had to wait a couple weeks for the local market to get their hogs in to butcher, but yesterday I received the word. The pig bladder was waiting for me.

Suddenly it didn't seem like such a good idea!


I went to pick it up, all tucked in its little ziplock baggie, and took it home. Turns out that in their excitement over my interest in a normally-discarded body part they'd been more than generous with how much they'd included. I had to play butcher myself.



After the bladder was trimmed and cleaned up a bit, it wasn't quite as intimidating, but I still was not about to blow it up the old-fashioned way like Pa did. Thank goodness, they've invented air compressors since then!



It was very windy, so Laura wanted to do it inside.
"Of course not! I don't know if this will work. It might explode if the air pressure is too high. We are doing it outside!"

After that, Laura wasn't too keen on standing close, but she was the cameraman, so she was right there as I fitted the end over my compressor nozzle and pressed down on the lever.

Pshhhhhtttttt! The noise was unexpected and deafening as the bladder slipped from my hands and shot onto the ground. But not as deafening as Laura's screams. I picked it up, dusted it off and got ready for Round 2, only this time I was holding on a little better.



Laura and I watched in amazement as the bladder expanded. What do you know? This actually works! I still don't know that I'd want to toss it around like a ball, but I suppose after a while you get desperate enough for anything to play with.

11 comments:

  1. Yeah, people in the old days were a whole lot less squeamish than we are today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TINA! I can't believe you did this! LOL! How come I'm just now finding out about this? Your mom usually blabs about everything y'all do, but maybe this little experiment was what it took to render her "fingers" numb!

    BTW, I wonder what would have happened if you had blown it up with helium and released it...to later settle into the yard of some poor, unsuspecting person! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, Tina....if that's Montana Prairie Living, you're more Montanan than I am! Never in a thousand years! I sure hope I get to meet you some time....I will gaze upon you with the greatest respect.

    I will say, however, in my defense, that I truly did chop the heads off more chickens than I can remember...when Mom just needed "one for supper," my brother or I would grab the chicken hook, grab 'em by the leg, chop the head off, wait till the body stopped floppin' and, voila! supper is ready! (almost....there was some other stuff.....) Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peggy, helium is a very intriguing idea, and I'm far enough from any of my neighbors that it shouldn't be a problem. However, should it turn up somewhere, I have a feeling I would be one of the first ones suspected.

    Sharon, thank you, but I don't feel doing silly things necessarily makes me more Montanan. It just makes me one of them crazy Californians, always doing fool stunts. Oh, well. It keeps me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Tina, don't they sell balloons in North Dakota? Please tell us if it floats when full of helium!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Balloons are for sissies! And the pig bladder was liberated by some opportunistic animal, so no helium tryouts. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Devon and I got to the part in the chapter about making "headcheese." So we looked it up, and found an instructional video on how to prepare the Ingalls' special dish. We watched part of it, and had to take a break from the gross-ity of it before we could watch the rest.

    From Devon: Auntie, you need to make headcheese. Pig bladders are for sissy vegetarians.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Devon nearly threw up. I couldn't get him to watch the video on making home-made sausage. I guess I'll have to watch that one myself. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is excellent. That scene was always one of my favorites from the little house books!

    ReplyDelete